Last Updated on November 15, 2022
You want to carry bikes with your Mini Cooper, but where to start? No worries, we are here to help. Why do you need bike racks for your Mini Cooper? Of course, insufficient internal space is the main reason for the case. If your Mini Cooper has a bigger trunk space, you may load bikes without thinking about using car bike racks.
We don’t recommend loading bikes inside a car because an after-use bike is dirty, so the dirty wheels can mess up where they stay. Bike racks seem to be the best solution to transport bikes for all car owners, not only Mini Cooper drivers.
We find some high-quality (the best) bike racks which you can use on your Mini Cooper (after a compatibility check with experts).
We offer three types of bike carriers for your consideration, and you need to follow this guide to learn how to use each of these options. Each type of bike rack requires different accessories to work with, so you should prepare to order a set of things. For example, roof-mounted bike racks clip on car roof racks; thus, you must have crossbars before mounting roof-mounted bike racks to your Mini Cooper. You can follow this guide to find roof racks for your Cooper or check the recommended options below.
Quick-Pick List Of 3 Compatible Bike Racks For Mini Cooper
Roof-mounted Bike Racks For Mini Cooper
Thule UpRide Roof Bike Rack
Thule is a well-known outdoor brand that manufactures many high-quality car accessories: like cargo boxes, baskets, and bike racks. Thule is just like Cocacola in its industry. You can visit an article that shows a brief history of the Thule brand.
Thule UpRide is a roof-mounted aluminum bike carrier, so it is about 18.5 pounds in weight. You can lift it one hand for installation without a tool. Thule UpRide is perfect for carrying one bike on top of your Mini Cooper, so it is not an option for transporting multiple bicycles. However, you can get 4 sets of Thule UpRide bike rack to hold 4 bikes once above the car roof of your Mini Cooper.
Thule UpRide bike rack is compatible with Thule AeroBlade, Thule SquareBar, and most factory crossbars. You should ensure you can use the UpRide bike carrier on your existing bars (if you have one). We recommend you contact the local Mini dealer to order OEM (factory) crossbars to eliminate the possibility of compatibility issues. If your Mini Cooper has a bare roof, you can follow a guide to find roof racks (crossbars) work without car roof rails.
Thule UpRide bike rack has a versatile design that does not make contact with the bike frame, so your bike frame doesn’t get damaged during transportation. If you have fat-wheel bikes, you can purchase Fat Bike Adapter to make the Thule UpRide compatible.
You can follow these steps when installing the Thule UpRide bike carrier on the roof racks.
- Lift the bike rack and put it where you want it to be.
- Operate the mounting hardware to lock the bike carrier to the crossbars.
- Test the installation by manually pushing or pulling the bike rack in different directions.
- You can start to load the bike.
It is time to load a bike on the Thule UpRide bike rack.
Thule UpRide bike carrier allows a maximum weight of 20 kg, so you don’t overload the bike carrier with heavy bikes. You cannot drive too fast when the bike rack is in use. You better control the speed under 130 km/h, especially on bumpy roads. You also need to pay attention to speed when driving on rainy or windy days.
After loading a bike on the Thule UpRide, the height of your Mini Cooper can be much higher than before; consequently, you should pay attention to driving when entering places with height limitations: underground parking, garage, tunnel, etc.
You can follow these steps to load a bike on the Thule UpRide bike carrier:
- Make sure you have successfully locked the bike rack on the roof racks.
- You can pull the front wheel hook up and adjust its length by pressing the button on the hook arm.
- Now, you can lift the bike on the rack and use the wheel hook to lock on the front wheel.
- It is time to lift another wheel-hook and make it stay on the opposite side of the front-wheel-hook to lock on the back side of the front wheel. You can use a button on the arm to adjust the length of the hook arm.
- When positioning your bike, you must ensure the wheels are complete in contact with the wheel holder pad.
- Don’t adjust the hook arm too long to make it able to touch the bike frame.
- You use straps to tighten the connection between the back wheel and the wheel-holder-pad. If one strap is not enough, you can apply more straps on the bike racks for better security.
- You can use locks to secure the bike carrier. It is a good idea to use more lockers to lock the bike on the bike carriers to prevent theft.
- Finally, you manually shake the bike to test the loading to see if you have done a secure job. If the test is safe, you can start the trip.
What we like: Thule UpRide bike rack offers straightforward installation that does not cost much of your time. We find some instruction videos on Youtube with accurate knowledge and tips. Thule UpRide has a sturdy aluminum construction which brings better durability. When the bike rack is not in use, it is easy to disassemble and store in the trunk.
What we don’t like: Thule UpRide bike rack’s loading capacity is what we strongly do not like. Otherwise, the UpRide is expensive.
Hitch-Mounted Bike Racks For Mini Cooper
Swagman XTC2 Tilt Bike Rack For 2 Bikes
If you don’t like the roof-mounted option, you can check this hitch-mounted bike rack. Swagman XTC2 Tilt bike rack is a perfect carrier that you can use on your Mini Cooper to tow 2 bikes at the back.
You require a hitch receiver to use hitch bike carriers, so we recommend you contact the local Mini dealer to order a compatible one for the specific hitch bike carrier. Swayman XTC2 Tilt bike carrier connects to 1.25 (class 2) hitch receivers or 2 inches (class 3) receivers (with adapter).
Swagman XTC2 Tilt bike rack weighs 30 pounds, and its loading capacity is 35 pounds for each bike. After calculation, the bike carrier weighs 100 pounds in total with two bicycles.
Most people like to carry bikes without a hitch receiver because they don’t have a trailer hitch on their cars.
Swagman XTC2 Tilt bike carrier is made of Alloy Steel. When it is not on duty, you can fold it up and store it in the trunk. It is a platform bike carrier with hooking arms and wheel locks, and the bikes will stay put after accurately loading. You can tilt away the bike carrier when you need to access the hatchback.
If you decide to use this option, you have to ensure that your bike’s wheel size is between 20 to 29 inches; otherwise, the Swagman XTC2 Tilt is not fit.
If you want to carry women’s bike with Swagman XTC2 Tilt bike carriers, you need Swagman Deluxe bar adapter to make it possible.
- Don’t use the Swayman XTC2 Tilt bike carrier on rough terrains.
- Read the installation manual carefully when assembling the bike rack. You need to clean and maintain bike racks regularly with proper strategies.
- A security check is needed when bikes are loaded, so you can manually shake the bikes to figure out if they are securely attached to the bike rack.
- You better store the bike rack indoors when it is not in use, and it is the best way to avoid natural corruption on rack components.
- Keep the bikes 6 inches away from the exhaust heat to prevent damage to the bike frame or wheel. The temperature of the car exhaust heat is not hot enough to melt the bike wheels.
- You should take bike accessories off when transporting bikes with bike racks.
- If you have more questions about bike racks, you can contact customer service to inquire about accurate info.
- Most hitch-mounted bike carriers have swaying problems, so you can follow this guide to find accessories that fix the swinging issue.
Trunk-mounted Bike Racks For Mini Cooper
Thule Passage 3 Trunk Bike Rack
Trunk bike racks are cheaper than the above options. We choose the Thule Passage 3 trunk bike carrier for your Mini Cooper.
Passage 3 can load 3 bikes at once, and it doesn’t require a hitch receiver or roof racks. You can use straps with hooks to mount it on the hatchback of your Cooper.
A trunk bike carrier is the easiest way to transport bikes. You can use six nylon straps to attach the rack to the hatchback and load three bikes on the rack arms. It is compatible with most bikes.
We believe you can install the Thule Passage 3 trunk bike carrier in 25 minutes. Its loading capacity is 35 pounds for each bike, a total of 105 lbs.
Here is the installation guide (official PDF version) for people who want to know more about the Thule Passage bike carrier.
What we like: It is easy to operate and store. It is compatible with most vehicles, and it works independently. Its price tag is more affordable than other types of bike racks. It also fits a wide range of bikes, including fat and electronic bikes; thus, we can use it for most outdoor needs on different cars.
What we don’t like: It may produce swaying noise on the roads, so you may need to apply more straps to tighten the connections. It won’t fit on women’s bikes, so you may need to spend extra money on adapters. The hooks are not sturdy enough to stay in good condition, and you don’t attach the bike rack when the strap hooks are bent.
Recommend Reading about car bike racks:
- Types of bike carriers
- Best bike racks for most cars
- Bike rack compatibility
- Carwash with bike racks
- Clean and maintain bike racks
- safety concerns
- Hitch rack VS trunk bike carriers
You can find compatible bike racks for Mini Cooper here, and these bicycle carriers are well-designed, top-rated, and high-quality options for people who plan to transport their bikes outside their Mini Coopers.
Our team is creating outdoor-gear relevant articles with passion. If our articles can help you to find the correct solutions for your questions, we will be happy about that. In the content creation process, we usually collect accurate and useful information online or offline to compile our content in an organized way. Consequently, we can guarantee that you can discover some expected answers to your questions. We appreciate your time on our site.